This fact sheet provides a brief discussion about metacognition, dividing metacognitive knowledge in to three categories:
- Person variables: What you know about your own strengths and weaknesses in learning and processing information.
- Task variables: What you know about the demands of doing a particular task
- Strategy variables: The strategies you have for learning
and suggests using a strategy that spans 3 phases to develop metacognitive learning skills:
- Develop a plan before approaching a learning task
- Assess understanding throughout the learning process (i.e. formative assessment)
- Evaluate their thinking against their results after task completed(i.e. in IT, we call it post-project review)